Thank you for your interest!
Whether you can volunteer in the shelter with the animals or outside the shelter, your skills and enthusiasm are essential to reach our goals.
Our volunteers allow for the continued operation and growth of the Wayne County Humane Society’s many programs and services.
With the Animals:
Most volunteers choose to volunteer at the shelter directly with the animals doing things such as:
- Socializing cats
- Walking dogs
- Feeding animals (with staff permission)
- Grooming animals (with staff permission)
- Filling water bowls
- Giving treats
- Cleaning cages (with staff permission)
Spot checks by staff members are required as they are ultimately responsible for any mistakes.
- Check voicemail messages and/or return phone calls
- Update the volunteer database for the shelter
- Photocopy forms and ensure there is sufficient paperwork in the front office
- Create posters, signs, and other publications or correspondence
- Take photos of animals (check-in with the Canine/Feline Specialists first)
- Washing dishes
- Cleaning toys and distributing them to the animals
- Cleaning litter pans
- Putting pop cans into the recycling container outside
- Sweeping leaves / shoveling snow / cleaning gutters
- Cleaning crates, laundry baskets, and carriers
- Help at special events
- Transport animals to rescue organizations
- Transport animals to veterinarian appointments
- Submit volunteer application (.pdf)
- Sign in/out at the shelter/event
- Comply with the dress code (.pdf)
- Volunteers under age 18 may work at the shelter with parent/guardian’s permission
- Volunteers under age 16 must also be accompanied by parent/guardian
- Tue-Wed: 8AM-5PM
- Thu: 8AM-7PM
- Fri: 8AM-5PM
- Sat: 8AM-3PM
- Sun-Mon: 8AM-12PM
The initial contact with WCHS must be in person during normal business hours. All volunteering during nonbusiness hours must be scheduled in advance.
Interested in volunteering, but want to learn more? Fill out our volunteer inquiry form.